Friday, September 21, 2018

What parallels might be drawn from the way Noah describes his dog, Fufi, and how he describes himself in his youth in the book Born A Crime?

Trevor Noah and his mother end up with two dogs when his mother's coworker offers them up. The coworker's dog is a Maltese poodle who mated with the neighbor's bull terrier. Noah calls this "a strange mix." Noah himself is "mixed," born to a black mother and white father. They met when Patricia was renting a room from Robert.
Fufi is "beautiful but stupid." Years later they find out Fufi is really just deaf. Noah tells us that

Fufi could do all sorts of tricks. She could jump super high . . . Fufi was a little rascal as well.

Similarly, Noah is an active child.

I was hyperactive, too. I craved constant stimulation and activity . . . I loved to be chased. I thought it was a game.

Noah learns a valuable lesson when he finds out Fufi has been spending time with another family.

The hard thing was understanding that Fufi wasn’t cheating on me with another boy. She was merely living her life to the fullest. Until I knew that she was going out on her own during the day, her other relationship hadn't affected me at all. Fufi had no malicious intent.

Noah describes himself in a similar way, noting his nature is not "bad," just like Fufi is not bad:

If you weren't engaging me, you were in trouble. I wasn't a shit to people. I wasn't whiny and spoiled. I had good manners. I was just high-energy and knew what I wanted to do.

While their other dog, Panther, is named for her pink nose, Noah says,

Fufi, I don't know where her name came from.

There is also no story behind the name Trevor:

When it was time to pick my name, she chose Trevor, a name with no meaning whatsoever in South Africa, no precedent in my family. It's not even a Biblical name. It's just a name. My mother wanted her child beholden to no fate. She wanted me to be free to go anywhere, do anything, be anyone.

Finally, Noah draws the comparison between himself and a dog:

My mom used to take me to the park so she could run me to death to burn off the energy. She'd take a Frisbee and throw it, and I'd run and catch it and bring it back. Over and over and over. Sometimes she'd throw a tennis ball. Black people's dogs don't play fetch; you don't throw anything to a black person's dog unless it's food. So it was only when I started spending time in parks with white people and their pets that I realized my mom was training me like a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...