Monday, November 21, 2011

If you were in Will’s situation, would you make the choices he made at the end of Me Before You? Were you surprised by his decision?

I would love to say that I would take a moral high road and choose life, even a life of suffering, but I have never lived in a situation as desperate as Will's in Me Before You. That is the beauty and heartbreak of this story—that it takes the preconceptions about morality and life and asks you to think about the suffering that is going on. Is it really better to live a crippled life or to snuff it out?
Personally, I think I would be afraid to end my own life, and would hold out hope that my condition and life would improve to give me a modicum of happiness. That dim hope and fear of destruction would prevent me from killing myself at the end, but then again, I have never experienced pain the way Will experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...