Wednesday, February 6, 2019

What significant items did Maleeka have?

The Skin I’m In, a realistic contemporary novel by Sharon G. Flake, is about thirteen-year-old Maleeka Madison. Middle school is very difficult for the protagonist. Throughout this coming-of-age story, Maleeka is teased and bullied by her classmates because of her dark skin color, homemade clothes, and height. Because of how she is treated, she learns to stand up for herself and to embrace her defining attributes.

Seems like people been teasing me all my life. If it ain’t about my color, it’s my clothes. Momma makes them by hand. They look it, too—lopsided pockets, stitching forever unraveling. I never know when a collar’s gonna fall off, or a pushpin gonna stick me and make me holler out in class.

Tired of being bullied, Maleeka makes a deal with her biggest bully, Charlese. Charlese will look out for her and let her wear her clothes if Maleeka will do Char’s homework for her. This leads Maleeka down the path of several bad decisions; however, as she learns from her mistakes and with the help of her English teacher, Miss Saunders, she grows into a strong young lady who can stand up for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...