Sunday, June 19, 2016

Was her Mom a "good" parent? What type of parent is her mom? Does she love her daughter or is she merely "using" her for her own selfish reasons?

There are several questions posted here, and all of them are based on the opinion of the reader. I believe that the response could be argued either way. Personally, I feel that the mom is a "good" parent that loves her daughter. I believe that at her core, Suyuan wants her daughter to be successful. In Suyuan's opinion, success is measured monetarily. She wants her daughter to be a prodigy so that she can become famous and rich. I think that is an entirely normal thing for a loving parent to want. As a parent myself, I do not want my kids to have a life of financial struggles. I do not need them to be famous, but I do not want them working three jobs at minimum wage just to pay the bills and feed themselves. Suyuan is attempting to find Jing-mei's niche that will help her be well-off financially. Yes, Suyuan pushes Jing-mei, and she pushes her hard. The expectations are high, and Suyuan tries over and over again to find something that Jing-mei will gravitate toward. I think it is absolutely the sign of a loving and caring parent to push one's child to grow and develop usable and diverse skill sets. I think the sign of an unloving and "bad" parent is to not care at all about what the child does or pursues. With all of that said, I believe that Suyuan did not do a good job at recognizing when to back off. However, that does not make her an unloving parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...