Sunday, March 1, 2015

How have you contributed to make high school a better place? You can include leadership, school spirit, or good deeds, but what does high school mean to you?

I have been a high school teacher for over 25 years and one of the classes I teach & advise is Leadership/Student Council. Besides teaching students to become better leaders, we are in charge of all aspects of school spirit and promoting kindness in our school. We sponsor community service projects, benefit dinners or events to raise funds for those in need in our community; we host all pep assemblies, dress up days and other spirit activities such as powder puff football, dances, he-man volleyball, etc.
High school can be a very difficult time for many students; some are trying to find their identity, others are struggling with issues at home. By promoting activities for all students to participate in, our Leadership class gives students a sense of belonging and a chance to learn from others. High school is not just about the learning that takes place in the classroom, but also about learning to become a responsible adult after graduating.


It's been a while since I was in high school, but I remember it fondly. I think my biggest personal contribution to my high school experience was an attempt to be kind and be a friend to everyone I knew. This question is obviously personal to everyone who answers it, but for myself, those are the things that I attempted to do to make my high school better.
By befriending other students and showing kindness to all of them, I hope that I encouraged people and maybe even lifted someone's spirits enough to change their perspective. Many students are going through things that we don't see, from mental illness to family issues to bad grades, or something else. I hope that my simple acts of charity and friendliness helped them to feel better and to feel more loved and welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...