Monday, June 4, 2012

How does Shakespeare make Macbeth such a compelling character? Please go in-depth.

The answer to this question is subjective. There isn't only one correct answer. Different readers will find Macbeth a compelling character in different ways. Some readers will even feel that nothing about Macbeth is compelling at all. Personally, I think Macbeth is a compelling character because I find him very normal. I can relate to him in specific ways. He's relatable because he's ambitious. He wants upward mobility in his life. He's already a thane and well liked by the king, but he isn't opposed to being rewarded with money and new titles. He's not even against the idea of being king. I wouldn't want to be king, but I do appreciate moving up through the ranks of my job and being rewarded for work well done. Macbeth does consider doing a great evil to shortcut his rise. I can't fault him for that. I think most people have dreamt of getting away with something wrong, but Macbeth ultimately decides that it isn't worth it. He has a strong enough moral compass to tell Lady Macbeth that he is not going to go through with the murder. That is absolutely compelling. He has a conscience. Unfortunately, he can't stick to it in the face of his wife's insults.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...