Sunday, October 15, 2017

How does poetry speaks to you? How does poetry change or enhance your appreciation of literature?

What I find fascinating and powerful about poetry is the presence of lyricism. Poems that resemble songs are quite beautiful, and for me, they sometimes make me think of certain music genres and music associated with certain time periods. I am certainly not alone in my love of Shakespearean sonnets. For instance, Shakespeare's sonnets on his mysterious Dark Lady evoke emotions associated with tragic love. Shakespeare's poetry makes you view love in a different and more profound perspective, such as in Sonnet #18 when he compares his lover to a summer's day.
I also enjoy the fact that poetry is versatile, in that it can convey a variety of themes and can be powerful at a variety of lengths. Long poems such as epics and ballads tell interesting stories, such as Tennyson's Idylls of the King. Yet I would argue that shorter poems, such as Robert Frost's Fire and Ice, are similarly effective in that they are open to multiple interpretations using such a limited number of words. The rhyming nature of Frost's poem is excellent, and along with its length, it is one of the few poems that I have memorized.
While many historical poets convey themes and emotions that are timeless, modern poetry, particularly by young women like myself, can be more relatable. Again, short poetry such as that of Rupi Kaur in Milk and Honey and The Sun and Her Flowers can have multiple meanings. In a single book, Kaur expresses love and emotional turmoil, female sexuality, self-confidence, family drama and immigrant culture, intergenerational differences, etc. Lastly, I find the best poetry mirrors my own thoughts and feelings in an artistic way and offers words to express complex emotions that I otherwise would not have the words for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...