Wednesday, November 30, 2016

In 300 words, how could the use of information technology help a small business you know be more successful? Provide at least three examples to support your answer.

I am going to respond to your question on a personal level. I have been an entrepreneur and small business owner for several years. In my current capacity, without the assistance of technology, I would not be able to retain my independence or provide the types of services I can provide.
Because of the technology and the internet, I am able to market my services in an exceedingly cost-effective way. My business uses social media, websites, and web-based free advertising to generate prospects. Web searches allow my business to continually find new niche markets and respond to them before larger corporate organizations can respond. Although the playing field is not entirely leveled by the internet, the internet does allow my business to compete with larger organizations and in areas where a large corporation will not go. Marketing and research for new business is one way technology helps me remain viable.
Another way technology has improved my business is through financial transactions. Back in the day, a small business would send an invoice to a customer, the customer would run it through various departments, cut a paper check, and mail it to you. Once it arrived in the mail it would be deposited in the bank, and the bank would hold the funds for up to ten days to make sure the check was legitimate. All in all, it might take forty-five to sixty days before the financial transaction was complete. Meanwhile, expenses have to be paid every day. Believe me when I say the electric company really is not interested in your cash flow problem! With technology, my business can invoice a client and be paid electronically, reducing the time in transit of the funds and making the funds available for use in a matter of days or, in some instances, hours.
The third way technology has improved my business is that I am able to communicate with experts all over the globe. Recently I had an American-based company headquartered in New Jersey that contracted with me to work with a consultant in Poland. Once our collaboration was complete, the finished word was sent to a company in California for presentation to a Japanese-owned firm based in Michigan. All of the transactions and work was completed by e-mail, teleconference, and digital uploads. Pretty cool to be a one-man shop and participate in the global economy!
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/small-businesses-using-big-technology-attract-more-hirees.html

https://www.uschamber.com/report/examining-the-impact-technology-small-business


We won’t write a full essay on the subject, but we can look at three examples to explain how small businesses may benefit from Information Technology. Let’s examine three small, local business examples—a bakery, a toy shop, and a landscaping business.
All three could benefit from a Materials Resource Planning system, but the bakery could especially benefit. Using MRP, they could accurately track inventory and supplies to properly maintain stock and plan for orders. The toy shop could utilize online sales and distribution to increase their market and footprint. This would benefit from a planning system and a strong IT infrastructure. Finally, the landscaping company could use a scheduling program and employee time keeping to properly track their work and plan out jobs in the future. There are numerous ways IT benefits small businesses; these are just a few simple examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...