Sunday, June 17, 2018

How did Gulliver land in Lilliput?

Gulliver’s visit to Lilliput is presented in chapter one. Author Jonathan Swift describes how, while traveling on a ship headed from England toward the East Indies, a storm hits. Many of the crew are killed, and the others are severely weakened. Although they see a rock not too far away, the strong winds blow them straight into it and the ship is wrecked. Some of the men set off in a lifeboat, but it capsizes.

What became of my companions in the boat, as well as of those who escaped on the rock, or were left in the vessel, I cannot tell; but conclude they were all lost. For my own part, I swam as fortune directed me.

Gulliver swims until he is exhausted, and he is pushed ahead by the wind and waves. He realizes that he is close to death and is about to give up the struggle.

Then I found myself within my depth; and by this time the storm was much abated. The declivity was so small, that I walked near a mile before I got to the shore.

He presumes that he is the only passenger who makes it to the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...