Friday, May 18, 2018

In Jane Eyre, when did Jane Eyre give way to her grief?

In Chapter 23, Jane is overcome with grief, believing she must leave Thornfield. Jane can no longer bear the intense love she has for Mr. Rochester, thinking that Blanche Ingram is to be his bride. At a party he hosted previously, the behaviors of Rochester and Miss Ingram had convinced Jane that they would soon marry. Her deep sadness is apparent in the following passage:

I sobbed convulsively; for I could repress what I endured no longer; I was obliged to yield, and I was shaken from head to foot with acute distress. When I did speak, it was only to express an impetuous wish that I had never been born, or never come to Thornfield . . . . "it strikes me with terror and anguish to feel I absolutely must be torn from you for ever."

She tells Mr. Rochester that it grieves her to leave Thornfield manor, having "lived in it a full and delightful life." However, she tells him that the necessity of her departure "is like looking on the necessity of death." By referencing death, Jane's words contribute to the novel's Gothic element. Jane's parallel between being separated from Mr. Rochester and death reads as hyperbolic, yet this conveys the true depths of her despair. To Jane, her statement is not an exaggeration, as she feels she is dying inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...