Friday, April 8, 2016

Describe a hypothesis test study that would help your work or conclusions in some way. Describe what variable would be tested and what would be your guess of the value of that variable. Then include how the result, if the null were rejected or not, might change your conclusions or actions in some way. Ho: No more than 30% of my patients used Lavender essential oil for stress relief in a diffuser. P is less than or equal to 30%. Ha: More than 30% of my patients used Lavender essential oil for stress relief in a diffuser. P is greater than 30.

An appropriate variable test for the described statistical question would assess the value of P, the percentage of people who did, in fact, use lavender oil in a diffuser for stress relief. Let’s assume for the sake of our test that I believe the actual percentage is 35% if people tested use the oil for stress relief. I would formulate a survey, interviewing a representative sample of the population. It is not possible to sample the entire population, so I would select a small group of maybe 100 individuals (the larger the sample size the better. Typically you prefer to have above 30 or 50 people surveyed). The results show that only 22% of the population uses lavender oil.
I would have to conclude from this that fewer than 30% of the population uses lavender oil. This would either change my perception of the population or lead me to believe that I had not sampled a large enough population, and that this data was skewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...