Friday, May 2, 2014

What are the similarities between Great Expectations and Les Miserables?

Magwitch, the escaped convict in Great Expectations is so moved by Pip's compassion and bountiful gift of "wittles," including brandy and a whole pork pie, that he remembers it for the rest of his life and vows to reward the boy by making him a gentleman.
Yes, Pip, dear boy, I've made a gentleman on you! It's me wot has done it! I swore that time, sure as ever I earned a guinea, that guinea should go to you. I swore arterwards, sure as ever I spec'lated and got rich, you should get rich. I lived rough, that you should live smooth; I worked hard that you should be above work. What odds, dear boy? Do I tell it fur you to feel a obligation? Not a bit. I tell it, fur you to know as that there hunted dunghill dog wot you kep life in, got his head so high that he could make a gentleman—and, Pip, you're him! (Chapter 39)
This illustrates one of the major themes in the novel, which is: A simple act of Christian charity can change a man's character for the rest of his life. This same theme is central to Victor Hugo's novel Les Miserables (1862). Bishop Bienvenu's kindness and generosity to the convict Jean Valjean changes him from a hardened criminal to an industrious and prosperous citizen who devotes the remainder of his life to helping other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the theme of the chapter Lead?

Primo Levi's complex probing of the Holocaust, including his survival of Auschwitz and pre- and post-war life, is organized around indiv...